This knowledgebase article is dedicated to the setup of Phonic's Helix Board audio interfaces within the Garageband recording software on Mac. While the following pictures and setup procedure was done within OSX 10.7.2 (Lion), the actual setup should not differ terribly in earlier versions.
- Go "System Preferences" > "Sound" to set default device for sound input and output to the Helix Board. This is usually abbreviated to, for example, HB18U.
- In your "Audio/MIDI Set up" make sure the Helix Board clock source is set to "device".
- Open Garageband.
- Within Garage Band go to "Preferences" > "Audio/MIDI" and switch input and output driver to the Helix Board. The input channels are grayed out as standard on macs – so within the Audio MIDI Setup you can't adjust levels.
- Add a real instrument track to your Garageband project. You should be able to find the Helix Board's inputs listed when you pull up the input sources menu. Select the Helix Board channel or channels you wish to assign to this track.
- Continue to add tracks – mono or stereo – as necessary.